We know your hunting trophies are prized possessions! Let us help keep the memory of your safari alive by ensuring the quick and smooth importation of your hunting trophies.

How To Import Hunting Trophies

Let our knowledgeable and experienced import specialists guide you through the hunting trophy import process. For over 25 years, Gallagher Transport has been assisting the hunting community with importing their hunting trophies and other personal souvenirs. We have a long standing relationship with both U.S. Customs and U.S. Fish & Wildlife. Our expertise allows us to make the import process easy and efficient for
the hunter. Gallagher Transport can provide assistance in the following areas:

  • Customs Clearance

  • U.S F&W Permits

  • USDA-approved Taxidermists

  • Storage and Delivery

  • Complete Cost Estimates

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for importing hunting trophies?

Hunting trophies must be cleared by U.S. Customs and inspected by U.S. Fish & Wildlife upon arrival in the U.S.

Should the hunting trophies be finished overseas or in the US?

Trophies can be shipped to the U.S. fully finished and mounted or in an unfinished state via a dip and pack service; however, the procedure for clearance varies depending on how they are shipped. If the trophies are finished overseas, they can be inspected at the airline cargo facility they arrive into, but if the trophies are shipped unfinished, they will be required to move to a USDA-approved taxidermist for inspection.

What is a Designated U.S. F&W Port?

The U.S. has both designated and non-designated U.S. Fish & Wildlife ports. You can import hunting trophies through all designated ports as well as a number of non-designated ports including Denver, CO.

What is a Designated Port Exception Permit?

When importing trophies through a non-designated U.S. Fish & Wildlife port, a Designated Port Exception Permit (DPE Permit) is required in order to have U.S. Fish & Wildlife inspect your trophies at the airline cargo facility upon arrival. Every hunter importing finished trophies needs to apply for their own DPE permit. Gallagher Transport can submit the application on the hunter’s behalf.  If the trophies are shipped unfinished, they will then be inspected under the cover of a USDA-approved taxidermist’s DPE Permit.

Why choose Denver as your port?

Because Denver is a smaller port, hunting trophies are often inspected quickly and more efficiently than in other more congested ports. Shipping your hunting trophies to Denver also allows for more cost effective delivery to the majority of the surrounding states including Arizona, Kansas, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, Utah and Wyoming.  The DPE permit which is required to import through Denver is easy to obtain and we are happy to submit the application on your behalf.

Finding a USDA-approved Taxidermist

Stuffed antelopes hunting trophies

There are a number of USDA-approved taxidermists throughout the U.S. and we can arrange for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife inspection at anyone of these facilities. If the hunter does not have an approved taxidermist, we can recommend one.

How long does the clearance and inspection process typically take?

Regardless of finish, hunting trophies must clear both U.S. Customs and U.S. Fish & Wildlife. Our experience shows this typically takes 5-10 business days.

What happens following completion of the inspection?

Whether the trophies are finished or unfinished, following completion of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife inspection we can either provide the hunter with the necessary documentation to pick-up their trophies or we can arrange for delivery of the trophies to any business or residential address, as directed by the hunter.

What is CITES?

CITES is the Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species and protects nearly 5000 endangered animals. If your trophy is protected under CITES, you will need to have additional import/export permits in place before the trophies are shipped. It is the hunter’s responsibility to
acquire the needed CITES permits but Gallagher Transport is happy to answer questions.

Contact Us

Questions? Our brokers are always happy to help. Contact us at 303-365-1000 or email us at hunting@gallaghertransport.com