You may have read or heard recently of the new regulations from the EPA regarding Wood Materials being imported into the US (TSCA Title VI regulation on Formaldehyde Standards for Composite Wood Products).

Gallagher requested and received confirmation from the EPA regarding these new regulations and if/how they would be applied to shipments of used Household Goods.

The EPA has confirmed that the new level of regulations will not apply to shipments of personal goods that were purchased abroad and are being imported for personal use. This would be the case regardless of how long the importer has owned the items. For example, if someone purchased a composite wood material product abroad and owned it for less than one year, which would cause us to have to classify it separately from the used HHG’s and pay applicable duties/taxes, this new regulation would not apply to that product as long as they are importing it for personal use and not for resale or other commercial purpose.

The bottom line is, you don’t have to worry about this new regulation affecting your normal business of transferees and their privately-owned Household Goods, even if they have owned them for less than one year. It would only apply to products being imported commercially for resale or otherwise used in a business.

Call 303-365-1000 or email us anytime to speak with one of our Household Goods Experts or email your Gallagher HHG Broker if you have any questions regarding this or any other issue.